Welcome to the “Energy Boost” podcast episode of TheEdTalks, where you get a short episode focusing on an energizing topic and the latest research and thinking around it and any tips or goodies I can share with you. It’s perfect brain food when you only have small windows of time.
To recap, in the last Energy Boost episode number 34 I talked about a molecule called sulforaphane. This naturally forming compound is incredible in the amount of possible benefits that it could have for you but there are some real concerns that you need to be aware of before you start consuming lots of sulforaphane high foods such as broccoli sprouts. Check out the episode here.
In this episode I’m going to dissect the often brought up topic amongst bacon aficionados of added nitrates or nitrites which I was led to believe are something you should avoid because of links to cancer. Hence my wife sends me off to our local Farmer’s market with the note of making sure I only buy the Nitrate / Nitrite Free Bacon for her and our little man.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What is sulforaphane
- What are nitrates and nitrites
- When they are good and bad for us
- Why they are added to food
- The cancer link between nitrates and nitrites
- Why nitric oxide can be extremely beneficial for us
- Why nitrosamines can be harmful to us
- The studied concerns surrounding cured and smoked products
- What we can do to mitigate the dangers surrounding nitrates and nitrites
- Deceptive marketing practices surrounding nitrite free labelled products
- Three simple things you can do to avoid the harmful effects of nitrosamines
- How nitrates can improve physical performance and muscle efficiency.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links which help me pay the bills for The Ed Talks at no extra cost to you.
- EB34: The Anticancer & Detox Power of Broccoli Sprouts
- Phytochemicals have been found to block the formation of damaging nitrosamines
- Potassium Nitrate use in salted meat dating back to the middle ages
- Potassium nitrate other uses
- Sodium Nitrate other uses
- Potassium Nitrite other uses
- Sodium Nitrite other uses
- Carcinogenic nitrosamines formed when meat is cured / you digest it / exposed to high heat
- Nitrosamines linked to gastric and oesophageal cancer
- Dietary exposure to cured/smoked meat and fish may be associated with leukaemia risk among children and adolescents
- Nitrate in drinking water
- Blue baby syndrome
- Other sources of nitrate exposures in infants, including protein-based formulas and foods can play a role in blue baby syndrome
- Nitrates’ possible harmful affect on pregnant women
- How to remove nitrates from drinking water
- International Agency for Research on Cancer declares that consumption of processed meat is carcinogenic to humans
- Nitrite free bacon can actually contain more nitrites than conventional bacon and more info here
- Dangers of high heat cooked and burnt meats / fish
- Nitrate induced enhanced physical performance and muscle efficiency and more info here
- Nitrates thought to increase the efficiency of mitochondria
- TheEdTalks Free Strategy Guide for feeling more energized
- Support TheEdTalks by using this Amazon Link when buying online
Help Spread the Word!
Thanks for listening to this episode of The Ed Talks. I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below or on the Facebook page.
If you haven’t already, please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking here. This will really aid our mission to help mums and dads Feel Energized Again and make the world a Healthier & Happier place.
Please use this AMAZON LINK when purchasing items online. It means we get a small commission (and you pay NO EXTRA) helping us pay for the podcast.