Even if you’re not really into mushrooms, the fact is that you’re breathing in mushroom spores right now and these fungi play an enormous role in our lives and that of our planet. There are over 400 known medicinal mushrooms that are said to heal everything from gut health to cancer and apparently the oldest living thing on earth is a 2,000 plus year old, over 6,000 ton fungus in Oregon, USA.
I grew up on a farm and we ate lots of field mushrooms that I’d go and collect with my dad, which mum would later cook up with a whole piece of garlic to check whether or not they were poisonous, by observing if the garlic changed colour or not. But it wasn’t until I visited a friend in Italy that I was exposed to a huge array of wild culinary and medicinal mushrooms that I’d never seen or heard of, that his dad had foraged from the mountains close to their village which opened my mind to the world of fungi.
In this episode of TheEdTalks I chat with Tero Isokauppila, co-founder of medicinal mushroom company Four Sigmatic and our discussion delivers a wealth of knowledge on the benefits of various mushrooms, as well as how we can use them to sedate our kids naturally!
Remember to always consult your healthcare practitioner prior to consuming new types of food or supplements such as mushrooms.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why fungi are so important for plants, humans and the planet
- What Mycoremediation is and how it can play a part in reducing toxins
- How oyster mushrooms can suck up diesel fuel
- What led Anglo Saxons to be known as mushroom racists
- The difference between medicinal and culinary mushrooms
- The energy boosting effects of cordyceps
- Why reishi mushrooms may be a better natural alternative to help you sleep
- Why you should avoid consuming raw mushrooms
- Which mushroom may actually help with candida
- Why you should go organic with mushrooms when possible
- What things to look for when buying mushrooms and supplemental products
- A great mushroom to help reduce stress and sedate your kids
- Tero’s general rules when choosing supplements, superfoods, wholefoods and fungi
- Three ways that Tero suggests to help you feel more energized.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links which help me pay the bills for The Ed Talks at no extra cost to you.
- EB15: Cordyceps Superfood Or Alien?
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Academy
- Oyster mushrooms removal of diesel contaminants from soil
- Plastic eating mushrooms
- Cordycep militaris
- Reishi mushrooms
- Chaga mushrooms
- SOD (Superoxide dismutase)
- Chitin (the tough outer cell structure layer of mushrooms)
- Australasian Mycological Society
- North American Mycological Association
- European Mycological Association
- Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora
- Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation by Tradd Cotter (Amazon link)
- Radical Mycology A Treatise on Seeing and Working with Fungi by Peter McCoy (Amazon link)
- Mycophilia by Eugenia Bone (Amazon link)
- How to choose the best mushroom product Part 1 and Part 2
- Four Sigmatic Website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages
- 3 tips to start the day with more energy.
Quote of the day:
“Each day provides its own gifts.”
Help Spread the Word!
Thanks for listening to this episode of The Ed Talks. What’s your favorite mushroom and why? Share your shroom tale with us here or on our Facebook Page.
If you haven’t already, please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking here. This will really aid our mission to help mums and dads Feel Energized Again and make the world a Healthier & Happier place.
Please use this AMAZON LINK when purchasing items online. It means we get a small commission (and you pay NO EXTRA) helping us pay for the podcast.